Howdy Geeks, Are currently in trying to redirect a domain on Hostgator to another domain found on your cpanel, its now easy to redirect domains from your cpanel with this tutorial you will be able to redirect your domain, because i have had this issue trying to redirect a domain for a client some months back. I was Able to redirect Https://apexnolly.com -> http://apex.ng
Lets know how redirects works:
What is Domain Redirect?
doamin redirect is redirecting a domain to another domain name which promote a particular product, but to date you have only had the time to develop one of those domains into a website. Or, maybe you have registered the .net and .org versions of a domain and want to redirect those domains to the .com.
How to Setup Domain Redirect on Hostgator
- Log into cPanel.
- Under Domains, click the Redirects icon.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select which type of redirect is to be used.
- Permanent 301 is a redirect that will update the visitor’s bookmarks and direct search engines to the new site.
- Temporary 302 is a redirect that will redirect the visitor or search engine but will not update the bookmark, and search engines will continue to index to the original page.
- From the “http://(www.)” drop-down menu, choose the domain name you would like to redirect.
- If you would like to redirect a single page or directory, you can use the adjacent text field to enter the name of the folder or file.
- In the “redirects to” field, enter the full URL of the page to which you will be redirecting.Note: You must enter the protocol (e.g. http://, https:// or ftp://) as well in order for the domain URL to be accepted.
- Select one of the following www redirection options to dictate whether or not the domain will be redirecting:
- Only redirect with www. only redirects visitors that type www. as part of the URL.
- Redirect with or without www. redirects all visitors regardless of if they use www. or not.
- Do Not Redirect www. will not redirect visitors that use www. as part of the URL.
- Clicking the Wild Card Redirect option allows users to set up a redirect to the same file on a new destination.
- With Wild Card Redirect, www.example.com/about.html will redirect to www.example-destination.com/about.html
- Without Wild Card Redirect, www.example.com/about.html will redirect to www.example-destination.com
- Click Add to create the redirect as specified.
Now when visitors type the exact URL that you specified, they will be redirected to the target site you assigned.
Hostgator gave a warning when performing domain redirect on your account its stated below;
Warning: Never create a redirect for domain.com to www.domain.com or from domain.com to domain.com/index.something. Doing either will cause an infinite loop. If you need to control the www and index page, you must use mod_rewrite by adding .htaccess code.
If you still having problem redirecting your domain please make a comment, we will try to fix it for you.